Castlevania Forum - Anti-Chapel: Muramasa Gurthang Description Swap - Castlevania Forum - Anti-Chapel

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Muramasa Gurthang Description Swap

#1 User is offline   Alutard 

• Peasant
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

It appears the descriptions of two swords were accidentally swapped in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

The strongest sword in the game is the Muramasa—but not until you've leveled it up by bloodying it. At first I thought the secret to understanding how the sword works was too cryptic. Nowhere in its description does it say anything about growing in strength. But now I believe its description was swapped with a similar sword called the Gurthang.

Gurthang and Muramasa are the only two weapons in the game that pertain to blood, both are red, and both have similar healing effects when blood splashes Alucard's way. So there's plenty of reason to accidentally mix them up. But Gurthang's attack power doesn't increase through contact with blood the way the Muramasa does. So Gurthang's description, "Gets stronger when bloodied," makes much more sense when applied to the Muramasa. And the Muramasa's description, "Bloodthirsty sword," fits just fine when applied to the Gurthang.

I doubt this switch was intentional, but I wonder at what stage the error occurred. Is it in the Japanese version as well? Or was it a translation error? Can anyone with the Japanese version confirm how far back this error dates?

#2 User is offline   Mercurius 

• VAMPIRE KILLER
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHonduras

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:17 AM

Very interesting. Shame that it made the sword's properties harder to understand.
Niatrecnu ruoh sti, niatrec si htaed.
love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users